Abbreviated version, updated June, 2021. Complete CV can be provided upon request
- Ph.D. Communications, Magna Cum Laude, European Graduate School, Saas-Fee, Switzerland
- M.A. English, Rhetoric and Composition Concentration, University of Texas, Arlington, TX
- B.A. English and Spanish, Southwestern University, Georgetown, TX
- Full Professor, Department of English, 7/2021 — present, SVSU, Saginaw, MI
- Associate Professor, Department of English, 7/2016 – 6/2021, SVSU, Saginaw, MI
- Assistant Professor, Department of English, 8/2011 – 6/2016, SVSU, Saginaw, MI
- English Instructor, 08/2006 – 5/2011, San Jacinto College, Houston, TX
- Teaching Assistant, 09/2002 – 05/2005, European Graduate School, Saas-Fe, Switzerland
- “Books in Quarantine: Facing our Fears of Shared Books During Times of Contagion.” Material Culture. Forthcoming, Fall 2021.
- “Forging High-impact, Low-Bandwidth Connections with WAGs.” Teaching English in the Two-Year College. Forthcoming, Fall, 2021.
- Spine: Libraries Amid Protest. Studies in Print Culture and History of the Book Series. University of Massachusetts Press, 2020.
- “Maidan Library: The Emergence of a Protest Library within Ukraine’s Revolution of Dignity.” Pacific Coast Philology, vol. 52 no. 2, 2017, pp. 314-323. Project MUSE, muse.jhu.edu/article/673301.
- “In Carnegie’s Shadow: The Biblioteca Popular as Biopolitical Exception.” Tales and Images of Spatial Justice: New Urban Languages Conference Proceedings, Netherlands, 24 – 26 June 2015. Edited by. Roberto Rocco and Daniele Villa, TU Delft / SPS / Urbanism, 2016, pp. 126-34.
- “OWS People’s Library and Jorge Luis Borges: Radical Politics, Heterotopic Spaces, and the Practice of Hope.” CTheory: an international peer-reviewed journal of theory, technology and culture, October 7, 2014: http://ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=733
- with Geof Carter, Sarah Arroyo, and Robert Leston. “Idiocy of Videocy.” Itineration: Cross-Disciplinary Studies in Rhetoric, Media, and Culture, September 2013: http://tundra.csd.sc.edu/itineration/videocy
- “Checked Bags: A Litany of Potentially Explosive Things.” disClosure: A Journal of Social Theory,vol. 22, 2013, pp. 10-15.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Faculty Research Grant, “Little Free Library Collections and Controversies,” 2022.
- Faculty-Led Undergraduate Research Grant, “Interpretive Planning at Saginaw’s Roethke House Museum.” 2021.
- Faculty-Led Undergraduate Research Grant, “Archive and Library Cataloging at Saginaw’s Roethke House Museum.” 2021.
- Faculty Research Grant, “Trash Libraries and Public Literacy,” 2020.
- Dow Visiting Scholars and Artists Program, to bring “Napalm Girl” Phan Thị Kim Phúc to SVSU, 2020. (Postponed due to covid travel restrictions.)
- Department Innovation Award, with Emily Beard-Bohn and Conor Shaw-Draves, “First Year Writing ‘Writing About Writing’ Pilot,” 2019.
- Faculty-led Research Grant, with Beth Alford, “Military Student Affairs Living Library ‘Special Collection,’” 2019.
- Excellence in Online Teaching Award Recipient, SVSU, 2017.
- Foundation Resource Grant, “SVSU Human Library,” 2016.
- Faculty Research Grant, “Maidan Protest Library,” 2016.
- Faculty Research Grant, “Reading Libraries of Resistance: The Heterotopic Spaces of BiblioSol and Tres Peces Tres,” 2015.
- Special Collections/Facilities Research Grant, “Biblioteca Popular Victor Martinez,” 2014.
- “Outsider Libraries,” Grolier Club, New York, NY. September 17, 2020.
- “Protest Libraries,” Sunday Assembly Detroit, MI. September 13, 2020.
- “Libraries amid Protest Book Talk.” Summer Speaker Series. Roethke House Museum, Saginaw, MI. August 18, 2020.
- “Using Writing Accountability Groups with Undergraduate Students,” SVSU Faculty Fridays, July 17, 2020.
- “Library as Democratic Institution.” Roethke House Museum, Saginaw, MI. Forthcoming, September 2020.
- “Outsider Libraries: More Trouble Than They Are Worth?” The Living Library: Beyond Stereotypes. May 14, 2018, California State Polytechnic University. Plenary speaker.
- with Anthony Antonucci, Dan Gates, Hilary Haakenson, and Elizabeth Rich. “MLA Human Library 2020.” Modern Language Association Annual Convention, Seattle, WA, January 11, 2020.
- “Spine: The Place of Books in International Social Movements.” International Society for Landscape, Place, and Material Culture, Detroit, MI, October 11, 2019.
- with Emily Beard-Bohn. “Writing About Writing in Composition I: Pilot Study Results.” Council of Writing Program Administrators, Baltimore, MD, July 26, 2019.
- “Autoethnography in the Online Writing Classroom.” Computers and Writing, Lansing, MI, June 22, 2019.
- “The Heaviness of Libraries.” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Pittsburgh, PA. March, 2019.
- with Emily Beard-Bohn, Brad Herzog, and Conor Shaw-Draves. “Piloting ‘Teaching for Transfer’ Pedagogy in Composition Courses.” Corridors: The Great Lakes Writing and Rhetoric Conference, Saginaw, MI, September, 2019.
- “Referencing One Another: Documenting Protest Library Book Collections.” Poster. Archival Education and Research Institute, Toronto, ON, July, 2017.
- “The Library of the Revolution of Dignity.” Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association, Pasadena, CA, November, 2016.
- “Remaindering the Difference: The Physical Book Collections of Radical Protest Libraries.” The Promise of Paradise: Reading, Researching, and Using the Private Library, Concordia University, Montreal Canada, June, 2016.
- Panel Organizer. “Off the Books, Off the property: The Liminal Spaces of Protest Libraries.” Off the Books: Making, Breaking, Binding, Burning, Leaving, Gathering: 4th Biennial Meeting of the BABEL Working Group, University of Toronto, Canada, October, 2015.
- “In Carnegie’s Shadow: The Biblioteca Popular as Biopolitical Exception.” 3rd International Conference New Urban Languages, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, June, 2015.
- “Reading the Library of Resistance: Seeking Persistent Variables in Impermanent Spaces.” Cultural Rhetorics Conference, Lansing, MI, October, 2014.
- “Public Libraries and Code Libraries: Bridging front-end interfaces with back-end programming concepts to help college composition students.” Writing Across the Peninsula, Marquette, MI, October, 2014.
- Friends of Theodore Roethke Foundation Board of Trustees, Winter 2020 – present.
- CCCC Writing About Writing Standing Group Steering Committee, Winter 2019 – present.
- Faculty Coach, National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, Summer 2019 – present.
- SVSU Coordinator, First Year Writing Program, Fall 2012 – Winter 2016, Fall 2020 – present.
- SVSU Co-Coordinator, Human Library Planning Committee, Fall 2016 – present.
- SVSU Institutional Review Board, Fall 2019 – present.
- SVSU English Department General Education Committee, Winter 2011 – present.